воскресенье, 17 октября 2010 г.

Les enfants de Marx et de Coca-Cola

There are two things that have formed the notion of the 60s/70 s in my mind - Jean-Luc Godard's film Masculin, féminin and Hilary Mantel's novel An Experiment in Love. This was, I reckon, the era of the young with everything mixed up: love, politics, wide use of contraception, fear of prejudice, mini-skirts, expectations.
I first watched the film completely unaware of what La Nouvelle Vague was about. So I have a pure impression of it, merely what I felt right after I've watched it. Do you remember the opening scene? Paul (Jean-Pierre Léaud) sitting in the café, watching Madeleine (Chantal Goya). And Madeleine is fascinating! Immediately I fell in love with this plain white sweater of hers that represents to me youthfulness and fragility. This film, I remember it felt like what my life is going to be: complex, nice-looking, with me staying half-indifferent to both the brilliant and the frightful things that happen. And sexually involved.
The novel is about a young girl who moves to London to study law, and faces the complications of her new life. It's all about girls, but it's not girlish, in a bad sense. No silly romance, only quiet observations. And lots of details. Everything tells a story - the collar of your coat, the rings you wear, the way you unbutton your blouse and the way you sip your coffee. That's precisely the kind of prose I like. Full of material things, not abstract. It never fails to inspire me.

P.S. As a title I used a quotation from the film (which is actually an intertitle between chapters): "This film could be called The Children of Marx and Coca-Cola".
xx



2 комментария:

  1. Nathalie, i never stop loving the way you write! It's just so exquisite, so feminine, yet very playfull and girlish(definitely not in a bad sense, as you say)my admiration is endless!

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. Oh goodness! you make me blush) my writings are quite amateurish, it's just that there are strong emotions behind them. That's what makes them (I hope) more or less interesting)

    ОтветитьУдалить